Saturday, August 27, 2011

Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Icing


I'm a little embarrassed to show pictures of this cake.  However, we do say that we are sharing our "disasters and delights," so I will.  This cake turned into a little of a mixture of a disaster and delight.  It tasted awesome, it just looked pretty rough.

I used vanilla yogurt instead of oil in the cake and baked it according to the package directions. 



For the icing I combined a few recipes I found.  It looks lumpy because I used fat free cream cheese... if you can get past the texture of the lumps (that are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of) it ended up tasting pretty good.



Icing ingredients:
  • 8oz Cream Cheese (don't use fat free)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt
I just mixed it all together, then refrigerated it.


Even though the icing was lumpy, it was very tasty.  I think I'll make it again with Neufchatel cheese instead and see how that works.



E:  7 (I tried everything to get the lumps out, I even heated the mixture.)
A:  8
T:  8

HH: 9  (He loved the taste.)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I tried to used fat free cream cheese for something the other day and it just doesn't work! This looks good...love using yogurt as a substitute for sour cream and other fats.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some comment love... you know you want to.