Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Making Mozzarella






Doesn't that look delicious?!  Trust me, it was.  This post is about all the wonderful food from Cousin Camp.  Yes, as the title says, we made mozzarella!  We'll start with that.  Here's a play by play in pictures:



You start by heating milk.  (We used 2%)





So, these are not the technical directions, Lisa brought a kit that had the recipe.  If you want to make it, I suggest that the first time.


Lisa, the magic maker, and mom, the credit taker

Look at the curds and whey forming!  (Little Miss Muffet would be so proud.)

Curds are the thicker white stuff coming together (this equals cheese eventually).  Whey is the liquid.

I tasted the whey, just tastes like bland, warm milk.  I just wanted to know what it was from experience when my kids (no I'm not pregnant, this would be a horrible way to tell you that) ask me about what exactly Miss Muffet was eating.

We were all quite fascinated.



KR was a little scared to get close even.

Notice everyone is in their pajamas... this was a theme for the trip.

 


 Then you drain off the whey.





Add salt and kneed the curds.



Voila!  Homemade Mozzarella!






Don't you want some?!





Unfortunately, I don't think I have documentation of all the food we ate.  However, I must say we ate fresh, healthy foods, that tasted amazing.  Look how colorful this is:




This is a pretty simple recipe and very delicious.  It's basically grilled corn, tomatoes, basil, and lime juice.  You can add balsamic vinegar too.  Everyone else had mint in theirs, but I don't like it, so I had a special bowl without the mint.  :)


We had grilled chicken and then leftovers became chicken salad... it was awesome.



You can see a few more things in this post about Cousin Camp... look for the boatnicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some comment love... you know you want to.